Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan problem between HP and CISCO Switch

jine
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

we have a problem when we want to used VLAN between a Switch HP and a Switch CISCO. The CISCO Switch cannot see the VLAN configuring on the HP Switch. It's problably an 8021Q incompatibility ?

Have you an idea about the subject ?

Thanks for your help

6 Replies 6

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Friend,

Which switches they are ?

They only know issue that I can share with you is that on HP switches, you have to manually TAG all the vlans to a 802.1q trunk. On the Cisco switch by default Vlan 1 is the native vlan. Just make another vlan and assign it as the native vlan on the trunk port. This will tag all the vlans going to the HP switch.

conf t

int fa x/y

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1Q

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan

HTH,

-amit singh

Which switches they are ?

CISCO2950 + HP2524

Thanks

It depends on what you mean you can't see the vlans. I don't think hp supports cisco's vtp yet. The newer switches do support cdp.

If you mean it doesn't work then you need to set the vlan tagging correctly on the procurve.

I wouldn't mess with changing the native vlan to correct this.

The key is to add the vlan that is the native vlan untagged to the port on the HP switch. This is normally vlan 1. You then add all the other vlans to the port tagged.

Unlike cisco almost every other vendor requires you to add each vlan (either tagged or untagged) to a port manually. Cisco by default allows all vlans and uses vlan 1 for what he calls native which is what everyone else calls untagged.

thestagman
Level 1
Level 1

802.1q is a standard and both devices should support it.

Can you confirm that the Cisco is not running ISL,

Can we see a config of both device trunk configurations ?

Hi Mike,

Original poster has already posted the cisco switch is 2950. This switch only supports 802.1q . It doesnot support ISL at all.

-amit singh

Hello,

Please I have several questions regarding the integration between  WS-C2960X-48FPD-L and HP switch HP J9729A 2920-48G-POE+ Switch :

The HP and Cisco Switch are connected via a fiber can I use the cisco SFP on the HP is it compatible if not then what should I use on the HP switch?

For the link between the switches can I use the port on Cisco as an access port since I need the voice vlan to HP what should be the configuration that I should use on the port let say I am using vlan3 so I only need one vlan from cisco to hp

please advise

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card