cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan Problem

zekwueme1
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to trunk two 2924xl and 2924 switches for training. On the 2429xl I was able to configure vlan and trunking. But the 2924 switch I could not. 2924-b#sh vlan - %Invalid input detected....marker. Also sh vtp stat elicits -invalid input detected ....

What's happening? Do I need to enable Vlan database and how? Please help

7 Replies 7

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Have you been able to get the trunk working

On a 2924, you normally need to go to vlan database mode and create vlans.

But if your trunk is working fine, then the VLAN information should flow from the vtp server if both the switches are part of the same vtp domain.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35xu/scg/kivlan.htm

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Narayan

Thank you.

When I issue command - 2924-b#vlan database - the switch comes up with - % Invalid input detected at marker. Now I have compared the IOS versions both switches are running - the working switch rns 12.2 while the not-working one runs 11.2. Could this have an impact?

If so, how do I update the IOS to at least 12.2.

That is probably a old 2924 4 megabyte model which did not support vlans and trunking so you can't do it unless you get a newer model . Do a show version and see how much dram the 2924 has , if has only 4096 then you are out of luck , if it has 8 meg then you can upgrade the code and it will probably work.

Yes, your are correct. It has 4096 mb of dram. OOoops! There goes my trunking.

mbroberson1
Level 3
Level 3

Can you do a "sh vlan brief"?

No. sh vlan or sh vlan brie brings up nothing.

Friend,as posted by glenn you cannot configure vlans on this switch.

Narayan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card