I have two servers, 10.1.1.21 and 10.1.1.24/24, both are connected to L2 6500 switches on the same vlan, and the interface VLAN is defined on a router connected to the 6500 switch (VLAN IP is 10.1.1.100/24), when these two servers talk with each other they do so via L2, and traffic between them won?t hit the router, I have a requirement to isolate both vlan at L2 and make them talk via L3, i.e. traffic from 10.1.1.21 should go to the router and then the router should forward it to 10.1.1.24 and vice versa. I can do whatever changes at the router and the switch level, but can not do any changes to the servers IP?s. Any ideas?
I thought about that but was not sure when 10.1.1.21 tries to send a packet to 10.1.1.24, it usualy uses ARP to get the MAC address of 10.1.1.24, when configuring the PVLAN, who is going to respond to the ARP request? How will the packet travel from server 21 to 24?
The solution is PVLAN (private VLAN?s), it?s implemented differently depending on the switch platform. On catalyst 2950/3550 it?s named (protected ports).
This is a brief explanation of PVLAN on C6500 platform
PVLAN?s allow you to protect hosts in the same vlan from each other by assigning switch ports to different types:
- Isolated: ports communicates only with promiscuous ports.
- Promiscuous: Communicates with all ports, generally default gateways of segments are promiscuous, common servers to all isolated and community ports and load-balancer between servers in isolated or communities.
- Community: communicate with other members of the same community and all promiscuous.
Those PVLAN ports are associated with a set of supporting VLANs:
- Primary VLAN: carries traffic from promiscuous ports to isolated, community and other promiscuous ports.
- Isolated VLAN (secondary VLAN) : carries traffic from isolated ports to promiscuous ports.
- Community VLAN(secondary VLAN): carries traffic between community ports and promiscuous ports.
In your case:
- servers .21 and .24 will belong to a separated vlan X, and set the vlan to a isolated (secondary PVLAN).
- The port connecting you gateway router will belong to a separated vlan Y, and set the vlan to primary PVLAN
Here is a link for more thorough explanation about PVLAN on C6500 12.2SX:
Question We run asr9001 with XR 6.1.3, and we have a very long delay to
login w/ SSH 1 or 2 to the device compare to IOS device. After
investigation, the there is 1s delay between the client KEXDH_INIT and
the server (XR) KEXDH_REPLY. After debug ssh serv...
Introduction The purpose of this document is to demonstrate the Open
Shortest Path First (OSPF) behavior when the V-bit (Virtual-link bit) is
present in a non-backbone area. The V-bit is signaled in Type-1 LSA only
if the router is the endpoint of one or ...
Hi, I am seeing quite a few issues with patch install and wanted to
share my experience and workaround to this. Login to admin via CLI, then
access root with the “shell” command Issue “df –h” and you’ll probably
see the following directory full or nearly ...