cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan Routing in two locaions

dcoonce84
Level 1
Level 1

I have a complex question, maybe not. We recently move half of our servers to a data Center, we are connected Via a layer two link. At HQ we have two Nexus 7k, and at the DC two Nexus 5k. all our routing is located at HQ at the moment. Currently the Nexus 5k’s are working on layer2. The problem we are having is that when VLan 100 is sending data to Vlan 200 it all travels from the DC to HQ then routes back to the DC. And to make thing even more fun Vlan 100 and 200 are in both locations, and need to talk as well. I believe I have found a solution via Packet Tracer, but that’s in theory.

What I believe I can do is set the same IP address on the vlan’s at the DC as they are at HQ, and turn on routing.

Will this work?

If not what can I do?

5 Replies 5

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

It would be awesome if you could upload a network diagram for us to visualize

Hi , 

Until you have Gateway IP address on your HQ Nexus7K switches , all traffic from your DC will come to HQ for communicating between VLAN. 

If you create SVI with new IP address from same VLAN segment on DC Nexus 5K switch and enable routing , you need to modify gateway IP address for DC server pointing SVI IP address of NEXUS 5k . HQ Server Gateway IP address can be left as its .

With this way you can achieve inter-vlan communication .

Link between HQ & DC should be made as trunk allowing VLAN 100 & VLAN 200 . 

HTH

Sandy

I just want to make sure I understand before i try to suggest implementing this.

SVI @ HQ will stay the same, as well as the GW on the servers @ HQ

I need to add a SVI for the Vlans that I need routed at the DC, and I cant use the same IP as HQ SVI because of duplicate IP Address on the network? so I will use a new address on the network and turn on routing on the 5K. Change the GW on the servers on the DC side to the new GW.

After this is done the servers on both sides will be able to to each other on both sides, as well talk between Vlans on each side.

Thank You Very Much for your help

Hi ,

Get me sometime , i will emulate and share your result on this idea .Till that keep holding 

HTH

Sandy

Anything new on the subject?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card