Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN routing to different tengig trunk

Dont Know
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I am sure my question has been answered somewhere in this forum.

So I apologize if I am asking something that has been asked/answered before. I did not see it in my search results.

We have two 3750s. One is doing ip routing (L3). The same VLANs are created on each switch. The other switch is L2 only. 

-The L3 has a 10 GB link to the L2 (vlan192 and vlan 10 trunked;aka port 1) and a 10 GB link to a storage device (vlan 10 only trunked;aka port 2).

-The L2 has a 10 GB link to the L3 (vlan192 and vlan 10 trunked;aka port 1) and a 10 GB link to a storage device (vlan 10 only trunked;aka port 1) 

There are other pieces in play as well, but this is what I think only needs to be brought up.

My question is this?

On the L2 we want all vlan 192 to go across port 1. We want all vlan 10 traffic to go across aka port 2. HOWEVER if port 2 goes down we want vlan 10 traffic to be sent over port 1. If both ports are operational I want 192 to port 1 and 10 to port 2.

Is there anything I need to do to make this happen? If so can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Brian

4 Replies 4

ptlr03666
Level 1
Level 1

you could use port channel load balance.

Hi Brain ,

Simple solution for requirement load balance between trunk link using STP . Its assured during normal operation only appropriate traffic is passed to appropriate switch port (L2 we want all vlan 192 to go across port 1. We want all vlan 10 traffic to go across aka port 2) and vice versa during failover condition (port 2 goes down we want vlan 10 traffic to be sent over port 1)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/spanning-tree-protocol/10555-15.html

when you do port-channel , both ports will forward traffic for both VLAN simultaneously .during failover one link will carry both VLAN traffic.

HTH

Sandy

Dont Know
Level 1
Level 1

Cool.. Looks like that is what I needed. I will give it a try today.

Thanks!

Hi ,

Let me know if you need help or foresee any issue 

HTH

Sandy

Kindly rate for helpful post 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card