cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN that spans two vtp domains

simplecisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have a requirement to create an unrouted vlan that will span two buildings. Each building has 3560 switches in them within each buildings vtp domain.

Is it possible to make a port in building 2's vtp domain be in a vlan in building 1's vtp domain.

If I had a separate switch in building 2 could I make it a member of building 1's vtp domain and achieve it that way.

Or can I tunnel ports between vtp domains.

All I need is a yes or no and the technology and I can then figure the rest out myself.

Thanks

Roger

3 Replies 3

Hi dude,

So you mean that there are 2 buildings with each one in a separate VTP domain?

If yes, then:

"Is it possible to make a port in building 2's vtp domain be in a vlan in building 1's vtp domain"

yes, suppose Vlan A is in Building 1 and that you want a port in Building 2 on this VLAN, define VLAN A on the VTP server in building 2 and then assign what ever that port that you want on VLAN A.

(Thats what i recommend).

"If I had a separate switch in building 2 could I make it a member of building 1's vtp domain and achieve it that way"

Depends on its location in building 2, if there is at least one switch that resides in building 2 (being configured as a VTP client or server) cutting the road between this new switch and building's 1 switches, then that can not be achieved. Else, if this new switch is going to be directly connected with building's 1 switches (which may be a costy solution), then my answer is yes.

"can I tunnel ports between vtp domains"

There's no such thing yet ;)

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Roger,

just create the same Vlan in both VTP domains.

to interconnect the two VTP domains two options:

a dedicated link that is an access-port on both ends associated to the vlan in question:

or a trunk port but without using negotiation you need to trunk without negotiation or the VTP name mistmatch will make the link to be made not trunk

Notice you can use multiple links for redundancy that will be managed by STP.

First option is more safe because using access ports you are sure you join only Vlan x to Vlan x, with a trunk you have a potential to join multiple Vlans with possible undesired effects

Hope to help

Giuseppe

s.klausen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Roger. Yes just creat vlan 10 in both vtp domain alowe vlan 10 on the trunk between the 2 building and it will work. regards Soeren

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card