Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan trunking between 3750 and 2960

tarnhundal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have 3750 switch running OSPF . It has multiple vlans on it then it is connected to 2960 switch then that switch also connected to another 2960 switch. Vlan 211 required on last switch,so we create it on 3750, second switch and last switch .Another vlan 11 is also created on second switch and 3750 not on last switch so we have now two vlans configured on 3750 and second switch but only one vlan 211 on third switch . my issue is that although I created trunking between second and first switch then access between second and third but there is only one active vlan 211 on second switch. when I do no shut the vlan 11 then 211 got down and vice-versa. I dont know why only one vlan is active at one time. Plz let me know about it.

thanx and regards,

Taran

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

tarnhundal wrote:

Hi All,

I have 3750 switch running OSPF . It has multiple vlans on it then it is connected to 2960 switch then that switch also connected to another 2960 switch. Vlan 211 required on last switch,so we create it on 3750, second switch and last switch .Another vlan 11 is also created on second switch and 3750 not on last switch so we have now two vlans configured on 3750 and second switch but only one vlan 211 on third switch . my issue is that although I created trunking between second and first switch then access between second and third but there is only one active vlan 211 on second switch. when I do no shut the vlan 11 then 211 got down and vice-versa. I dont know why only one vlan is active at one time. Plz let me know about it.

thanx and regards,

Taran

Taran

You can have multiple L2 vlans on a 2960 switch ie. "sh vlan" will show you the L2 vlans. But because the 2960 is a L2 switch you can only  have one L3 vlan interface (sh ip int brief | include vlan) up/up at any one time. This L3 vlan interface is used to manage the switch and not for user traffic.

The 3750 is a L3 switch so you can have multiple L3 vlan interfaces up/up.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

tarnhundal wrote:

Hi All,

thanx and regards,

Taran

Taran

You can have multiple L2 vlans on a 2960 switch ie. "sh vlan" will show you the L2 vlans. But because the 2960 is a L2 switch you can only  have one L3 vlan interface (sh ip int brief | include vlan) up/up at any one time. This L3 vlan interface is used to manage the switch and not for user traffic.

The 3750 is a L3 switch so you can have multiple L3 vlan interfaces up/up.

Jon

Hi ,

Thanx Jon. you are right . actually , I got confused because I didnt check the staus of all vlans. thanx again.

thanx and regards,

Taran

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Right Said Jon !!

Regards

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco