cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN with Sonicwall & 2970G

troy.lynch
Level 1
Level 1

Having a strange problem which this setup has always worked before. I have a sonic wall with vlan 1 and vlan 30 and I've got a couple ports with access vlan 30 on them but its not pulling dhcp from vlan 30 from the sonicwall. Attached is my config. I've taken this setup to other switches different models and brands and everything works fine so I know the Sonicwall side is setup right.

Here's my Trunk port

!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-500
 switchport mode trunk
!

My Access port

!
interface GigabitEthernet0/3
 switchport access vlan 30

Then my vlans

!
interface Vlan1
 ip address 192.168.50.249 255.255.255.0
 no ip route-cache
!

interface Vlan30
 ip address 192.168.30.254 255.255.255.0
 no ip route-cache
!

Pretty straight forward setup or so I thought. Any help on where to look would be great! Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

did you create the layer-2 vlan

config t

vlan 30

name firewall-vlan

exit

does "sh vlan summary" show vlan 30 and port gi0/3 active in it?

sh vlan summary

or

sh vlan id 30

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If vlan 1 needs to get IP from vlan 30, than you need to add "ip helper-address 192.168.30.xx command under vlan 1 interface.

This is assuming the vlans are in up and up mode and so are the physical interfaces.

HTH

Nope vlan 30 is getting dhcp from dhcp running on vlan30 on the sonicwall. dhcp on vlan1 is coming from the windows environment.

Do you have default-gatway or default route on the switch pointing to the firewall (vlan 30)?

Nope. There is no default gateway for vlan30 and shouldn't be that would be on the clients. Which I do have set. I can't even ping the default gateway on the vlan so the vlan traffic isn't going from the access port to the trunk port. 

did you create the layer-2 vlan

config t

vlan 30

name firewall-vlan

exit

does "sh vlan summary" show vlan 30 and port gi0/3 active in it?

sh vlan summary

or

sh vlan id 30

That was it! Thanks

I've also tried static and ping the vlan 30 gateway from the access port vlan 30 which its not passing the traffic to the sonicwall

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card