Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Vlan

guys a v basic confusion but i cant get my head around it........adding vlans can be done in two ways.....plz correct me if i m wrong.....from vlan database and from config mde....(vlan 33 enter) now guys plz make me clear that why two ways even if i got to vlan data base and try to add it says warning an dsays that it shd be added from config mode.....so even if i configure it from configration mode will it be added in data base automatically.???....cheers and thanks

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Vlan

Hi Guroo,

Vlan database was very old tradional configuration mode for vlans.

You can configure normal-range VLANs (with VLAN IDs 1 to 1005) by using both the configuration modes but you must use config-vlan mode when creating extended-range VLANs (VLAN IDs greater than 1005).

When you go to vlan database mode and enter vlan ? you will not get any option for vlan id greater than 1005 but when you go to config mode and enter vlan ? you will get an option for extended vlan id also.

To create extended vlan id switch should be in transparent mode.

The configurations of VLAN IDs 1 to 1005 are always saved in the VLAN database (vlan.dat file). If the VTP mode is transparent, they are also saved in the switch running configuration file.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Views
Helpful
Replies