Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VLANs and PVST+ limitations

I have stepped into a network that wasn't designed by me and due to my lack of familiarity, I'm concerned about a couple items. The network consists of 3750 12Ss.

1. Some 12Ss are running PVST+ and others are running R-PVST. What sort of impact will this cause?

2. I know that we can only have 128 spanning tree instances on a switch. If we are running PVST+, does this limit us to 128 VLANS total on a switch or is there a way to combine several VLANS into a single instance?

Thanks in advance.

~Tia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: VLANs and PVST+ limitations

1) Nothing disastrous but you may find that you do not get the benefit of RSTP, for example if you have 4 switches, 3 run RSTP and 1 PVST+ then

a) if a vlan is only on the 3 RSTP switches you will get the benefit of RSTP for that vlan.

b) if the vlan is on any of the 3 RSTP switches AND the PVST+ switch then the STP for that vlan will revert to PVST+ timers.

2) Have a look at MST which allows you groups vlans into instances

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a00807b075f.shtml

Jon

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: VLANs and PVST+ limitations

1) Nothing disastrous but you may find that you do not get the benefit of RSTP, for example if you have 4 switches, 3 run RSTP and 1 PVST+ then

a) if a vlan is only on the 3 RSTP switches you will get the benefit of RSTP for that vlan.

b) if the vlan is on any of the 3 RSTP switches AND the PVST+ switch then the STP for that vlan will revert to PVST+ timers.

2) Have a look at MST which allows you groups vlans into instances

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a00807b075f.shtml

Jon

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content