cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlans and trunk links

moses12315
Level 1
Level 1

I have several layer 3 switches in my network and layer 2 switches directly connected with the layer 3 switches. Some of the L2 switches belong only to one Vlan (etc Vlan 35). What's the best solution. The link between L3 and L2 to be a trunk link or an access link on that Vlan?

Thanks

moses

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Moses

Generally speaking you usually have 2 vlans per switch at a minimum. One for clients and one for management. So it is common to have the uplinks as trunks.

However if you want to keep it very simple, have the management IP address out of the client vlan and are sure you do not need to have more than vlan per switch you can make it an access port.

Personally i would have management on different vlan and use trunk links.

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Moses

Generally speaking you usually have 2 vlans per switch at a minimum. One for clients and one for management. So it is common to have the uplinks as trunks.

However if you want to keep it very simple, have the management IP address out of the client vlan and are sure you do not need to have more than vlan per switch you can make it an access port.

Personally i would have management on different vlan and use trunk links.

HTH

Jon

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have to look at your current config and any plans for the future . If you never plan on needing more than a single vlan down a uplink then it does not need to be a trunk , if you ever have notion of having to have multiple vlans down to a switch such as using the switch for AP connections then just make it a trunk to begin with.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card