Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlans in production environment

rahatsiddiq
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Guys,

I come up with an another question and that is i have given a project of implementing vlan's, redundancy including core network deployment for DR site.

The problem is this that we have more than 100 servers running mail, domain, database, SAN, and alot of application servers and more than 1000 users but there is no vlan implemented. now i have experienced in routing not in switching world so I need your help to implement these vlan with redundancy.

Guys tell me a way that how i start and which steps follow to accomplish minimum down time with no minimize problems.

i know how to implement vlan, intervlan, and all these stuff but i dont know from where to start and how to.

any help in this regards will be appreciated.

2 Replies 2

nelson-rick
Level 1
Level 1

What is your current IP scheme? Can we use private addressing for your 1000 users?

samsunday
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am new to networking myself and from your description, it seems you are more knowlegeable in this area than myself.

Please note that I am not representing my company view in giving this advice. It is purely based on my self-study. You may choose to follow the advice or not and I am not liable for action that result from following this advice.

The advice I am about to give comes from self-study and little experience I have gathered at work.

Steps:

1. You need to require an outage to do this kind of work and this might be at weekend when the impact will be minimum. Before you implement this, make sure you have one experienced network engineer around during the outage time that you set aside for the work in case things go wrong.

2. You will need to do a design of what traffic each vlan will accomodate or which users need to be in each vlan.

3. Beware of VTP configuration when creating the Vlan and duplicating it across all your switches. Set only one or two switches as VTP mode servers (preferable the core switches) and any other switches as client.

4. Set a domain name and password when creating VTP this will ensure that when a new switch is added to the network, it will not distrupt normal operation on your network.

5. For security reason, do not use Vlan 1 as your native Vlan choose a random number.

I believe other people might add more to this list.

Once these fundamentals are in place, you can be rest assured that your implementation will go successfully.

Wishing you all the best.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card