cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANs, Native vs. Access

maldavis3697
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to replace an older switch with a new switch but whoever configured the old switch configured the interfaces with this:

interface FastEthernet0/12

description Center Lab

switchport access vlan 214

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 112

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,112,1002-1005

spanning-tree portfast

There are about 12 ports set up this way for a computer lab. This really confuses me and I'm trying to figure out what they were trying to accomplish with this. If I'm remembering correctly both the native vlan command and the access vlan command put untagged traffic on the vlan it's configured with...so if both commands are on the same interface then which takes precedence? If I'm remembering wrong please tell me. Either way I need help figuring this out. Please help. :)

Thanks in advance.

28 Replies 28

Shucks....Im touched...thanks, folks (tears in my eyes)...

LOL! Well I'll give you 5 too since you led me to putting in the command I should have in the first place. :) Now you have 10 points..hope your day is looking up! :D

Malinda

Can't believe you succumbed to Victors pleading - he's always dong this, that's how he got his gold star :-)

LOLOLOL...You REALLY made me laugh that time! LOLOL

Sorry Jon...I just couldn't resist. I know I'm too softhearted but what r u gunna do? It's just the way I am. :P

Besides I don't know Victor like you do. I'll try to resist better next time. ;)

No problem Malinda, that's how Victor gets to people with his pleading. Not your fault but hopefully next time you'll think twice before rating him :-)

OK, now you're hurting my feelings -- and you KNOW how sensitive us New Yorkers can be! >:-(

I did genuinely try to help her. Were it not for the comments I made after she was about to take your skewed advice, she would have never run the "sh vlan" command!

LOL

"Were it not for the comments I made after she was about to take your skewed advice"

So true, that's why i've decided to study for R&S so i can actually give decent advice in the future ....

"and you KNOW how sensitive us New Yorkers can be! >:-("

Yeah heard rumours about this. Us brits have the famous stiff upper lip so no problem for me :-)

ROTHLMAO! You both are hilareous and have given me quite a laugh (in addition to helping me with my question). So a big thanks to you both!

In all fairness to you Jon, you did say that you thought the interfaces would be using VLAN 214 and not 112 so your advice wasn't really skewed. :)

I think anyone would have trouble figuring this out with the convoluted config that the interfaces had on them!

Malinda

No problem, glad to have helped and i've enjoyed this thread.

As a final point, notice how dignified us Brits are ie. no pleading/begging for points :-).

Jon

"notice how dignified us Brits are ie. no pleading/begging for points :-)"

OK...now ya went did it! Dems' fightin' words, ya varment!

Did I spell that right? I hate when I have to jump out of my "tough American" bag! :-(

"Did I spell that right?"]

Who the hell knows ?

Been a pleasure as always Victor :-)

Point noted and laughed over! :D

I, on the other hand, am nothing near dignified. I'm laughing at these messages like someone slipped me some laughing gas and my co-workers are wondering what I'm up to over here. I'm from Seattle and we're just laid back and enjoy life!

Thanks Jon and Victor for the laughs and advise!

You're welcome, Malinda. You're a good sport. It was my pleasure. Jon is a cool guy and talking to him is always fun and very interesting.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card