cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANS with 2651 router

Sean McCoy
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2651 LAN router. Is it possible to create VLAN's on that router? I have some L2 switches on my local segment that support VLANS. Any ideas or NO GO? Thanks.

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sean

Just to clarify. Are you talking about running a router on a stick configuration where the 2651 will have subinterfaces using 802.1q encapsulation ?

If so then yes it should do it. You will need IP PLUS IOS feature set as a minimum.

HTH

Jon

Jon-

That is pretty much what I want to do. These additional VLANS will be for testing purposes. I probably cannot obtain the IP PLUS IOS feature set due to the fact that the router is out of warranty/contract. The other option I have would be to configure the available FE0/1 interface in the additional subnet and set the VLAN id on the switch port to reflect that, correct?

Sean

Yes you can allocate an IP address to the fe0/1 interface out of a vlan and then assign the port that the fe0/1 interface connects to into the same vlan.

Note that IP PLUS is minimum, so you may have a better IOS on the router already. Worth checking. Easiest way is just to try and configure an subinterface

int fa0/1.10

encapsulation dot1q 10

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

Jon

Jon-

Thanks for the quick response. My other question is how do I now configure FE0/1 to tell it the DHCP server lives on the other interface/subnet?

Sean

Sean

You need to use the "ip helper-address x.x.x.x" command. So lets say your DHCP server is 192.168.5.10

int fe0/1

ip helper-address 192.168.5.10

This will take a broadcast request for an IP address from any client on the vlan that fe0/1 connects to and forward it on in a unicast packet to the DHCP server.

Jon

Jon-

Thanks! Works like a charm. I owe you one.

Sean

Jon-

One last question. I have network printers on the FE0/0 subnet. Anyone on the new FE0/1 subnet cannot print to them. Do I need to make additional changes to FE0/1 to allow this? Thanks.

Sean

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card