Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VMware virtual switch - does it run Spanning-Tree?

Can anyone tell me if the virtual switch in VMware generates BPDUs towards its external (real) ports? I don't think it can do, but I would like some confirmation.

I am trying to decide whether to enable bpduguard on switchports that connect to a VMware host. The links are dot1q trunks; the VMware virtual switch adds the 802.1Q tag according to the virtual machine it is hosting.

If the virtual switch does not generate BPDUs towards the external ports, then I am inclined to enable bpduguard, just to protect against any cabling accidents.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: VMware virtual switch - does it run Spanning-Tree?

Spanning Tree Protocol Not Needed

VMware Infrastructure enforces a single-tier networking topology. In other words, there is no way to interconnect multiple virtual switches, thus the network cannot be configured

to introduce loops. As a result, Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) is not needed and is not present.

From http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf

HTH

2 REPLIES

Spanning Tree Protocol Not Needed

VMware Infrastructure enforces a single-tier networking topology. In other words, there is no way to interconnect multiple virtual switches, thus the network cannot be configured

to introduce loops. As a result, Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) is not needed and is not present.

From http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf

HTH

Thank you. Exactly what I needed!

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Views
Helpful
Replies