Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice Vlan Q

huwyhuwy123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've setup a 9 port stack of 3750s (config attached). Switches 2 to 9 are PoE switches that will be used to connect initialy to Mitel VOIP phones and then to PCs (The VOIP phones have a 3 port switch).

I have plugged my laptop into the stack and set it with an IP in the "data" vlan range (vlan15) and I can successfully ping the vlan interface on the switch. However when I set my laptop with an address on the voice vlan (vlan150) I cannot ping the voice vlan interface. Is this because it's a "voice" vlan, or have I made a configuration error?

TIA for any help,

H

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Algy,

the results depends on how you have connected the laptop to the switch.

If you have connected the laptop directly with a switch port configured with access vlan 15 and voice vlan 150 the laptop will be in vlan 15 the data vlan even if no phone is in the middle.

if you connect an ip phone that is recognized that phone will get an ip address in the voice vlan.

You can think of the switchport as an implicit 802.1Q where the native vlan is the data vlan and the tagged vlan is the voice vlan and you understand what happens.

If your PC NIC is able to use 802.1Q tags if you define a vlan 150 subif it should be able to ping the SVI vlan 150

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Algy,

the results depends on how you have connected the laptop to the switch.

If you have connected the laptop directly with a switch port configured with access vlan 15 and voice vlan 150 the laptop will be in vlan 15 the data vlan even if no phone is in the middle.

if you connect an ip phone that is recognized that phone will get an ip address in the voice vlan.

You can think of the switchport as an implicit 802.1Q where the native vlan is the data vlan and the tagged vlan is the voice vlan and you understand what happens.

If your PC NIC is able to use 802.1Q tags if you define a vlan 150 subif it should be able to ping the SVI vlan 150

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card