cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vPC and spanning-tree port type edge

Terry MacDougal
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2 N5Ks connected to a pair of UCS FIs. The 5Ks are running vPC to the FI 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

spanning-tree port type edge should apply to all access/trunk ports on the FEX. 

Basically, any port that connects to end devices should have it.

HTH

View solution in original post

Terry

See the attached for the best practice for vPCs. Taken from the vPC Best Practicies guide (supplied to me by Reza). It is for N7Ks but as far as i am aware the same principles apply.

Jon

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the question?

Sorry, it got chopped...... Should the vPCs on the Nexus have "spanning-tree port type edge" enabled?

spanning-tree port type edge should apply to all access/trunk ports on the FEX. 

Basically, any port that connects to end devices should have it.

HTH

Terry

If you mean on the N5Ks then if these are your aggregation layer switches then no, the port type should be normal and it is recommended to enable rootguard on these ports that face the access layer switches.

The uplinks from the FEX should also be normal ports but no rootguard configured.

Jon

Terry

They aren't conflicting. Reza was talking about end devices connecting to the FEX  and i was talking about the connections between the FEX and the N5Ks.

Apologies Reza if i have misrepresented what you were saying.

Jon

Terry

See the attached for the best practice for vPCs. Taken from the vPC Best Practicies guide (supplied to me by Reza). It is for N7Ks but as far as i am aware the same principles apply.

Jon

hi jon/reza,

where did you get the nexus port drawings? can you give me a link?

my google search only points me to vPC best practice and not on nexus port types.

i'm going to configure N3K and saw a mix of port types in our environment. i want to do it right on this new build.

my questions:

1) do i configure 'normal' for both access switch trunk and for port-channel?

interface Ethernet1/1
  description ### SW01 G1/0/23 ###
  switchport mode trunk
  spanning-tree port type normal
  channel-group 1 mode active

interface port-channel1
  switchport mode trunk
  spanning-tree port type normal
  vpc 1

2) do i configure 'edge' or 'edge trunk' for ASA FW inside trunk (FW inside sub-interfaces)?

interface Ethernet1/15
  description ### FW01 G0/1 - INSIDE ###
  switchport mode trunk
  spanning-tree port type edge trunk

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card