cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vpn into server

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, if I want to vpn into a server into my office, do I just nat the server to a public address and allow vpn protocols through to that server on my router ?

3 Replies 3

mainesy
Level 1
Level 1

What vpn method are your using? PPTP/L2TP, cisco client or another means? If you are creating a VPN connection, then no you will not NAT the server address. You will create a no nat access list statement which will prevent NAT from occuring and protect (encrypt) traffic traversing that connection.

List which method you will be using and then the configuration information can be provided.

Josh

but to reach this server from the web i gather it must have a nat to a public ip on the router, i think its using pptp as its a windows vpn server ?

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Carl,

If you r natting your server with a public ip that means you are already having the server on the internet n it will be accessible.

Now, if u are specifically looking for vpn and then accessing you server, you have to configure a vpn gateway on your network. Then you will assign a local pool for the VPN users who will connect to your network. If you are sitting at the back of a router, then you have to configure you router to make a Lan/lan tunnel to the router at the office. If you are on the internet then you can use a VPN client on your PC which will create a VPN tunnel to your VPN router and then gets an IP from local pool and access your network at the office.

HTH

-amit singh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card