cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN with Cisco 1700 Router

eclipse2000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, Im a little stuck with a setup on my Cisco 1700 router, currently im using the router with a business broadband connection and up until now everything has been fine, I have 5 static IP's assigned each doing diffrent things to diffrent servers. I have 3 mail servers, a shared drive and a VOIP server so all ports have been setup and the firewall so thats all good, Im currently trying to setup a VPN connection now the router wont let me as when i try to set this up using the wizard for the VPN SSL its saying i dont have a supported IOS installed.

So im trying to get one of our servers to do the work, everything is configured on our 2003 server and i have forwarded TCP port 1723 as instructed using the firewall part and the NAT section of the router, i can noe attempt to connect from a remote location and i get connected and prompted that its checking the username and password but after 30 seconds this crashes out. After reading a little more in to things i have seen that i need to allow IP Protocol 47 through to the router.

I have allowed IP GRE47 access through the router's firewall as this bit was easy but i cant seem to find how to either use the NAT section like i have for everything else as it only allows TCP or UDP, or any other way of doing it.

Any help would be great as i have lost hair trying to do this today.

Many thanks

Paul

3 Replies 3

allen.hecker
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco 1700 series router does not support SSL VPN.

When you say "So im trying to get one of our servers to do the work", are you trying to establish an SSL VPN connection to a server?  Then you should at a static NAT command on the router such as:

ip nat inside source static tcp <> 443 interface <> 443

(sorry if I've misunderstood what you're trying to do)

Thanks for the reply, Im trying to use the server 2003 software for the VPN connection, See http://www.techrepublic.com/article/configure-a-windows-server-2003-vpn-on-the-server-side/5805260

Towards the bottom it says about needing the following setup through the firewall and forwarded to the server,

TCP 1723

GRE Protocol 47

Thanks

Hi,

Can you post your config.

You must exempt from NAT for TCP 1723 and let these 2 protocols pass through the router permitting them in you ACL or firewall config.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card