Views
Helpful
Replies

VRF Aware Syslog

justinnputman
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I am trying to setup syslog messages to be sent to my logging server through vrf. I have vrf interfaces configured but when I try and run 'logging host x.x.x.x vrf <vrf_name>' I get an "Invalid input detected at vrf". Is this something specific to a certain IOS image?

This is what I am running on my 6509e switch: sup-bootdisk:s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF7.bin

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Justin,

I am running SXI on our 6500s and the command works fine.

Your code probably does not support it

From the command reference guide:

In the following example, messages are logged to a host with an IP address of 172.16.150.63 connected through a VRF named vpn1:

Router(config)# logging host 172.16.150.63 vrf vpn1

HTH

Reza

I find it interesting that my code probably does not support it as on Cisco's website it states the only prerequisites is that "A VRF must be configured on the router."

Is there anyway I can get around this or do I need to change my IOS image?

I was able to find that my current IOS image doesn't support VRF Aware System Message Logging even though it supports VRF Aware IPsec. Looks like I will need to upgrade my switches. Thanks for the help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card