Views
Helpful
Replies

vrrp backup master on Nortel switches!!

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

We are migrating the last of our Nortel devices to cisco now, I have one question, the nortel vrrp feature has a function wherby if you have a cluser of 2 switches, if the traffic hits the standby switch, the function will route it locally.

my question is if I switch this function off on the standby router, will the clients continue to route via the active one? or will i need to flush all the arp tables on pc's routing behind it? or do they use the same mac address so it will be ok?

cheers

Carl

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hi ganeshh

can you tell me what you mean by

"Yes there will be drop from 2 - 3 when Master goes down and Backup comes into picture for vrrp group and 1-2 drop when Master comes back in Master stage of vrrp group."

by turning off the backup master function for 1 vlan, will the clients need to re arp etc? or do they still use the vip mac address, im gathering they use the vip mac address here, so switching it off should be fine?

thanks

Carl

Carl,

I was actually means for RTO just when ever you ping the vip and master router goes down and backup takes postion of master there will 2 - 3 RTO's.

and Yes by turning off the backup routerconfigurion of vrrp in vlan they will still use the vip mac address where your Master router is active for the vlan and hence the traffic will be moving without any direuption.

Hope that clear out your query !!

If helpful do rate the valauble post

Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

We are migrating the last of our Nortel devices to cisco now, I have one question, the nortel vrrp feature has a function wherby if you have a cluser of 2 switches, if the traffic hits the standby switch, the function will route it locally.

my question is if I switch this function off on the standby router, will the clients continue to route via the active one? or will i need to flush all the arp tables on pc's routing behind it? or do they use the same mac address so it will be ok?

cheers

Carl

Hi Carl,

For your query if we switch off the configuration in backup router and pc are pointed towards the vip of vrrp group then no traffic disruption because Master router is alive and will be forwarding the traffic.

Yes there will be drop from 2 - 3 when Master goes down and Backup comes into picture for vrrp group and 1-2 drop when Master comes back in Master stage of vrrp group.

HTH

If helpful do rate the valuable post

Ganesh.H

hi ganeshh

"Yes there will be drop from 2 - 3 when Master goes down and Backup comes into picture for vrrp group and 1-2 drop when Master comes back in Master stage of vrrp group."

by turning off the backup master function for 1 vlan, will the clients need to re arp etc? or do they still use the vip mac address, im gathering they use the vip mac address here, so switching it off should be fine?

thanks

Carl

hi ganeshh

thanks

Carl

Carl,

I was actually means for RTO just when ever you ping the vip and master router goes down and backup takes postion of master there will 2 - 3 RTO's.

and Yes by turning off the backup routerconfigurion of vrrp in vlan they will still use the vip mac address where your Master router is active for the vlan and hence the traffic will be moving without any direuption.

Hope that clear out your query !!

If helpful do rate the valauble post

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card