Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VSS 1440 vs STP+HSRP for highest core availability

For the highest availability, how does two VSS pairs (2x2 Cat 6500s, 4 in total) compare to a ring of 4x cat 6500's using STP and HSRP? I'm nervous about using VSS to turn our two core data centre switches into one single point of failure - the VSS console / software.

3 REPLIES

Re: VSS 1440 vs STP+HSRP for highest core availability

Each VSS system is composed of 2 Cat 6500 managed as one unit, VSS ensure a permanent layer 2 connectiviy between the two catalyst. So this solution bring a full redundancy by eliminating SPOF.

But if the two 6500s aren't configured as a VSS pair, and use STP+HSRP for the dual-connected server, iSCSI SAN hosts, and access layer switches, there's also no single point of failure. My concern is that the VSS system/protocol itself is newer, less known, and possibly more complex than STP. Essentially it boils down to a single mechanism to take care of the fail-over ... and I'm thinking I trust STP more than VSS!

Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Then I suggest contacting your Cisco SE and have a run on a VSS pair in your Lab until you feel comfortable.

Think of the VSS design as running a stackable 3750 vs 3560 with uplink ports.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content