Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS 1440 with two catalyst 65xx

dimensyssrl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

We are studying a solution to re-new our two catalyst 65xx.

Now we have a 6513 (not E) and a 6509-E chassis.

We'd like to buy two new vs-720-10g-3c supervisors.

Is it possible to combine the two switches into a single VSS?

And another important question: now we have many ether-channel to connect our servers to a single switch; is it possible, with these two new supervisors 720, to have a Virtual Port Channel? For example, can we use port 5/1 on first switch and port 5/1 on second switch into the same virtual port-channel?

Last question: now we have only WS-X61* and WS-X6* modules; with this modules, that cannot mount DFC, we can use VSS?

Thanks a lot.

Daniele

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I  haven't checked all the requirements, but I recall using VS-S720 in VSS  mode imposes additional requirements then when running them in non-VSS mode.

I also recall, list price for sup2T is about the same as VS-S720.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

For VSS, you need E-chassis for both switches.

And another important question: now we have many ether-channel to connect our servers to a single switch; is it possible, with these two new supervisors 720, to have a Virtual Port Channel? For example, can we use port 5/1 on first switch and port 5/1 on second switch into the same virtual port-channel?

Yes, you can.  That is very common way of doing portchannel.

Last question: now we have only WS-X61* and WS-X6* modules; with this modules, that cannot mount DFC, we can use VSS?

For VSS, you need the 67XX series line cards.

Also, instead of using Sup-720-VS, you may want to look at Sup-2T which is the newer Sup.

HTH

>>For VSS, you need E-chassis for both switches.

In this page

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_models_comparison.html#~tab-b

Cisco says that these supervisors are supported also into non E-chassis...

it may be wrong?

>>Last question: now we have only WS-X61* and WS-X6* modules; with this modules, that cannot mount DFC, we can use VSS?

>>For VSS, you need the 67XX series line cards.

But into documentation, it's written that sup720 have two different processor that support 1) 67xx modules and 2) old modules

>>Also, instead of using Sup-720-VS, you may want to look at Sup-2T which is the newer Sup.

yes, but I think that 2T supervisors are more expensive, don't?

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I  haven't checked all the requirements, but I recall using VS-S720 in VSS  mode imposes additional requirements then when running them in non-VSS mode.

I also recall, list price for sup2T is about the same as VS-S720.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card