Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS 4500 doubt

Hi everyone. 

We have the following topology: 

VSS is working fine on both sides. We can ping each 4500-VSS and telnet each other without any problem. Interfaces Te1/1/1 and Te2/1/1 are part of a Portchannel on each VSS. 4500X-A and 4500-D are VSS active switches.

Now, if interface Te2/1/1 of 4500X-D goes down, we cannot ping the VSS (C-D) from VSS (A-B). Why does this happen, if we have a PortChannel and interface Te1/1/1 is still UP, and can even see VSS(A-B) through CDP?  Can't this be seen as if we had two switches connected through a Portchannel, and one interface of the Portchannel goes down? (devices in the middle are provider equipment)

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

In order for the fail over to work correctly you need to have a cross connect between 4500-C and the other device above it and 4500-D and the other device above it (fully mesh). The same thing for 4500-A and B.

HTH 

Hi Reza.

You mean something like this right?:

And we should include the four interfaces in one Port-Channel, thus avoiding any STP issue?

Thanks!

You mean something like this right?:

That is correct, but instead of using one Portchannel for all 4 links you may have to use two different Portchannels as the switches above and below VSS devices are not stacked and therefore can't share a Portchannel.  So, it would be one Portchannel from one of the switches to both 4500-C and D and the same from the other switch to both 4500-C and D.

HTH

Ok, thanks. But, that would mean that one of the Port-Channels would be in blocking-state due to STP?

No, there shouldn't be any loop since the switches above and below VSS are not connected together.  Think of the individual switches as access layer switches that need to connect to distro/core (VSS). So, each access switch has a Porchannel with 2 links in it and each link connect to a different 4500.  Since the links are part of a Portchannel there is no loop.

HTH

But, I guess devices above the VSS are Layer 1 devices; they're not switches, since I can see both VSS (A-B and C-D) through CDP. 

Ok, you didn't explain this before and I thought the devices connecting to VSS are switches or at least what the diagram appears to show.

In that case than you are connecting 2 VSS domains together and so all 4 ports can be part of the same Portchannel. And I guess the cloud in the middle is just dark fiber right?

HTH

Yes, that's right. I'm sorry if I hadn't been clear before. So, now that it is clear that those devices are not L2 switches, do you still recommend to have a cross-connect from the VSS to these devices (4 interfaces), so the VSS fail over can work properly?

Thanks!

Yes, 4 interfaces all in one Portchannel.

Good Luck

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card