Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS and Catalyst 4500

sandu_nastas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there.

I have a silly question: Does the 4500 support VSS (Virtual Switching System) ? On the official product overview page it says:

1.6 Terabits capacity with Virtual Switching System (hardware-ready)

What means Hardware ready ? Does it mean that it supports VSS in the same manner as the 6500 ?

The reason I'm asking this question is that I didn't find any info on the Internet about this.

We would like to upgrade our network by interconnecting the 2 sites with Layer 2 redundant links (Layer 2 extension), but I'd like to use the both links in a load-balancing manner, which can be a real pain in the ass with STP. The choice is between 4500 and 3750 stackable  core switches. The 6500s are very expensive.

So I'd like to know whether we could implement VSS with these platforms

Thanks in advance

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

"Hardware ready" means it's waiting for an IOS version to enable it.

The 4500-X will eventually support VSS (see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps10902/ps12332/white_paper_c11-696802.html.)

I can't recall what's been publicly announced regarding other 4500s and VSS.

View solution in original post

Hi,

For the 3750s, you can stack them.  When stacked, they are similar to 6500 with VSS.

As for the 4500 series, you just have to wait a little longer.  I have heard VSS is coming, but no firm date yet.

HTH

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

"Hardware ready" means it's waiting for an IOS version to enable it.

The 4500-X will eventually support VSS (see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps10902/ps12332/white_paper_c11-696802.html.)

I can't recall what's been publicly announced regarding other 4500s and VSS.

Hello Joseph,

Thank you for your response.

Do you know any other ways of load balancing traffic and avoiding loops in a Layer 2 environment using 4500s or 3750s switches ?

Hi,

For the 3750s, you can stack them.  When stacked, they are similar to 6500 with VSS.

As for the 4500 series, you just have to wait a little longer.  I have heard VSS is coming, but no firm date yet.

HTH

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

Reza, already mentioned 3750 stacking, but until there's VSS for the 4500, your other redundancy option is the 45xxR chassis with a 2nd sup.  Less expensive than a 2nd chassis, although you only have one chassis of ports to work with instead of two chassis and you don't have chassis redundancy.

sandu_nastas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Reza,

That's a great idea. Thanks for the reply

The 4500X is the based around the Sup7E supervisor card.  The 4500X supports VSS.  The Sup7E (not sure about the Sup7LE) will support VSS by mid-2012.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card