Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

VSS configuration merge

In IOS versions prior to 12.2(33)SXI3, executing "switch accept mode virtual" was necessary to finalize the virtual switch conversion and the configuration on the standby switch would be merged and wiped out in the process. This command is no longer necessary in the newer versions (which I'm running) and the configuration is merged automatically. However, I'm reading conflicting information on what this merge actually accomplishes.

Will the standby switch interface configuration be cleared during the merge? What about access lists with unique names and routing configuration? I think port-channel interface numbers will need to be unique so I will rename those beforehand.

Everyone's tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: VSS configuration merge

Hi,

In this case you should begin the conversion process using a default configuration, as the conversion process removes any previous configuration that exists on the standalone chassis.

See the Conversion to virtual switch mode section:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/white_paper_c11_429338.pdf

Hope this helps.

3 REPLIES
Silver

VSS configuration merge

Hi,

With SSO redundancy, the VSS standby supervisor engine is always ready to assume control following a fault on the VSS active supervisor engine. Configuration, forwarding, and state information are synchronized from the VSS active supervisor engine to the redundant supervisor engine at startup and whenever changes to the VSS active supervisor engine configuration occur. If a switchover occurs, traffic disruption is minimized.

That means that the standby will have the same configuration as the active sup.

Regards,

Community Member

VSS configuration merge

Sorry, I may not have been clear. I'm wondering about the behavior when two standalone chassis are converted to VSS. Does the second chassis' configuration get blanked out during the conversion process? According to the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Virtual Switching System white paper, "[d]uring the conversion process, the configuration of the standby virtual switch (in this case, Switch 2) is cleared, including the configuration of the two VSL interfaces on the switch. [...] Therefore the configuration for the VSL interfaces on the standby switch must be applied, or merged from the active switch configuration. [...] Note that only VSL-related configurations are merged with this step; all other configurations will be lost and require manual intervention."

"[W]hen entering this command running a 12.2(33)SXI3 or newer software release, the command returns a notification that this step is no longer necessary."

The paper says this is not necessary on newer IOS, but it is unclear whether the other configuration will be lost or if the newer releases improved upon this and retain the interface configurations.

Silver

Re: VSS configuration merge

Hi,

In this case you should begin the conversion process using a default configuration, as the conversion process removes any previous configuration that exists on the standalone chassis.

See the Conversion to virtual switch mode section:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/white_paper_c11_429338.pdf

Hope this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content