cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS Configuration

mark.hansel
Level 1
Level 1

I'm confused by portions of the Cisco "VSS-Enabled Campus Best Practic Configuration Guide", specifically with the configuration example in Appendix A. The configuration example repeatedly shows seperate configurations labeled "Core 1" and "Core 2" where a virtual interface is given a different address on Core 2 than Core 1. How is this possible when they are in VSS mode? For example Port-channel1 is the "same" interface on both switches?

What basic concept am I missing here? I've attached an excerpt from the appendix. Look at the attached excerpt and look at the IP addresses assigned to interface lo0,lo1, and Po1

Thanks for your help.

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mark,

I am not sure if this config is for VSS or not, but I know for fact when 2 6500s form a VSS pair, they logically become one device and you cannot assign one loopback address to the primary and one to the stand-by.  You can only assign one loopback address.  As a matter of fact, once VSS is established you don't even have access to the stand-by to make config changes. Everything is done through the primary device.

HTH

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card