Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS data path?

anowell
Level 1
Level 1

Simple question...

I'm trying to understand the data path when you have VSS configured.  I have a remote switch that has two connections to a pair of 6500s that are running VSS.  If I was plugged into the remote switch, what connection would I use to get to the the 6500s?  Both?  How is this determined?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The fastest way to identify which one is active and which one is on hot standby is by looking at the LED light on the supervisor card.  Hot standby unit has the "Status" LED on amber color.  

When you console into a standby unit, the prompt is also a give-away.

View solution in original post

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Either connection could be used for traffic to and from devices connected to the remote switch.

With VSS one switch is active and one standby for the control plane but in terms of the forwarding plane both switches can forward the traffic.

Presumably the links from the remote switch are configured as an etherchannel to the VSS pair so it is the etherchannel load balancing method that determines which of the physical links to use.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The fastest way to identify which one is active and which one is on hot standby is by looking at the LED light on the supervisor card.  Hot standby unit has the "Status" LED on amber color.  

When you console into a standby unit, the prompt is also a give-away.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Either connection could be used for traffic to and from devices connected to the remote switch.

With VSS one switch is active and one standby for the control plane but in terms of the forwarding plane both switches can forward the traffic.

Presumably the links from the remote switch are configured as an etherchannel to the VSS pair so it is the etherchannel load balancing method that determines which of the physical links to use.

Jon

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

From remote to the VSS pair the operation is the same as from remote to any other single device, where you have multiple connections, i.e. the remote device "decides" path.

From VSS pair to remote, VSS avoids transiting its VSS mate.  I.e. whether Etherchannel or L3, VSS will use its own link connected to the remote device.  (I.e. VSS doesn't load balance, you load balance to the VSS transit pair and it will maintain the same load balancing.)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card