Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VSS FAQ

Dear All,

I have two WS-C6506-E with two WS-SUP32-GE-3B for each active and standby. They are the Core layer

The two 6506 are connected eachother with a etherchannel of 6 Gbits, the other Gigaports on the supervisor are used to connect thesistribution Layer.

The Fiber ottic that connect the two 6506 is a 50/125 OM3.

In the future I will need more speed between the two Core, I am thinking to increment it to 10GBit.

I' d like to implement the VSS, I started ony from few days to study the VSS architecture, I need to know is I am choosing the right supervisor and service module for my Core. I have choose:

Qty     Model

2     VS-S720-10G-3C(=)

4     X2-10GB-SR

2    WS-X6724-SFP

I wait for your suggestions.

Best Regards,

Igor.

Everyone's tags (1)
5 REPLIES

VSS FAQ

Should be Good.

Maximum VSL Distance

Maximum VSL distance depends on X2 optics used for VSL 10 Gigabit Ethernet connections:

• X2-10GB-CX4: 15m

• X2-10GB-LX4: 300m

• X2-10GB-SR: 26m (FDDI grade MMF), 300M with OM3 MMF)

• X2-10GB-LR: 10km

• X2-10GB-ER: 40km

• X2-10GB-LRM: 220m over MMF

• X2-10GB-ZR: 80km**

Supervisor Engine

Virtual Switching Supervisor 720-10GE (VS-S720-10GE-3C and VS-S720-10GE-3CXL)

Note: Initial release supports a single supervisor engine per virtual switch member (or chassis). This restriction will be removed in a future software release.

Modules

• All 6700 series modules with Centralized Forwarding card (CFC)

• All 6700 series modules with Distributed Forwarding Card (DFC) 3C or DFC3CXL

Note: Support for WS-X6716-10G line card is available on 12.2(33)SXH2 and later version of software releases.

VIP Super Bronze

VSS FAQ

Hi,

Since this is a new implementation for VSS, I recommend using the Sup-2T instead of Sup-720-VS. 

here is a good doc that covers the Sup, compatible line card, VSS, etc...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/white_paper_c11-676346.html

HTH

VSS FAQ

Thank you,  for the advices.

@Reza I will read the document pto understand why the Sup 2T is better, If you can summarize the document for me you help me much.

Best Regards,

Igor.

VSS FAQ

I have found a unfocial document tht copare the two sup:

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/network-engineering-journey/cisco-catalyst-sup720-v-s2t/

The Sup 2 T seems better than Sup720.

VIP Super Bronze

VSS FAQ

Igor,

Another important part is the processor. The 2T comes with Dual core with each core @ 1.5 Ghz, while 720-VS comes only with 1 600 Ghz.

HTH

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content