Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS Feedback

parisdooz12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we plan to implement VSS on our datacenters (C6509/Sup720), in order to remove L2 loops (currently, access layer are C3750 stacks, which could evoluate for N5K/N2K).

I would like to have some feedbacks about VSS stability. Some years ago, I have seen some bugs with this technology in another company, so I am still not totally comfortable  to use it in the datacenter.

What are your feedback about it?

Thanks by advance.

P.

20 Replies 20

Ok, I see. Thanks.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

VSS and Nexus 5500+FEX 2K ... Hmmmm ... Depends on what you are trying to do.

Yes, I agree.  VSS technology has matured to the extent that it's going to be pushed down to the 4500R+E (Sup7E).  But that's not the important issue.

Nexus is a different beast and there are some things that the Nexus solution will excell that the 6500 VSS can't.  One of them is the amount of 10 Gbps interfaces available.

The Nexus solution is bent to provide loss-less 10 Gbps from the switch to the SAN servers.  If you want to terminate ALOT of 10 Gbps then Nexus is the way to go.  If you want to terminate A FEW 10 Gbps then 6500 is a place to go.

The Nexus 7K is now offering 40 Gbps and 100 Gbps (non-blocking, 1:1 oversubscription rate).

One more thing, if you HAVE NOT purchased the Sup720, then consider the newer supervisor card, the Sup2T.  In some cases, you'll be able to get discounts that'll make the price of the Sup2T equal to the Sup720.

I still have C6509 with sup720-10G. Access layer are C3750 with etherchannels.

My objective: make (deployment objectives: 3 or 4 monthes) the current architecture to be ready for 10G: few future blade racks connected in 10G - perhaps 2 or 3 in 2013, 3 x C3750X stacks connected with etherchannels, about 10 x C3750G stacks which are end of support in 2014 and could be change, in 1 or 2 year, by N2K or C3750X-10G stacks (so a final need of 16 x 10Gbps ports (C3750X scenario as access layer) or 50 x 10 Gbps (N2K scenario).

40G & 100G are not really needs (the only need could be inter-datacenter connecion, but we have 2 x 10Gbps which can evoluate to 4 x 10G, in etherchannel between the 2 sites)

I thought to these 3 scenarios (deployment objectives: 3 or 4 monthes):

1) Keep C6509 for L3 - migrated in VSS)  and add N5K-96 as an intermediate L2 layer between C6509.

2) Change C6509 for N7k => this solution is a lot more expensive than solution #1 (twice more)

3) Change sup720 for sup2T, at least to take benefit of 6908 cards (if I am not wrong, 8 non blocking ports)  => not really interesting in comparison of solution #2 (a bit less expensive, but a lot less capabilities).

I thought to solution #1 to be the most efficient in terms of cost and evolutivity. It will permit to connect blade racks and migrate C3750X currently connected by etherchannel in 2013, then migrate C3750G in 2014.

My only concern with C6509 is that I now notice with experience that it is a bit weak in some cases of abnormal flows and so, fine tuning of protection features (copp, reate-limiters, etc...)  is necessary, which not always easy to do and not always efficient. I guess Nexus is more robust, with less tuning needs.

alexng
Level 1
Level 1

Great info here..can someone go over STP & HSRP?  My goal is not to worry about STP at all..

STP

You will still need it configured. ( Default config normally fine )

The reason for this is just to be sure if someone chains switches or does something silly, you still dont loop your network. This would be bad.

So default RPVST or MST would be fine in most cases.

HSRP

You dont need it.

Your vlans etc will just have one interface ( vlan 10 for example would just have an IP address. no standby etc. )

The reason for this i sbecause BOTH switches act as one logical switch.. There is no switch to pair for HSRP.. ( Unless maybe you paired two VSS's in the same environment.. But that would simply be overkill no?

-Graham
Please note: My comments are simply suggestions. I cannot be held liable for any loss of data, life or marbles due to following my instructions.

Got a website? Need some live chat software?

about 10 x C3750G stacks which are end of support in 2014 and could be change

Sorry for the late response.  Contact your Cisco AM/SE in switching or wireless (yes, wireless).  Tell them that you want to replace your EoS 3750G with something else and they might let you in a little "secret" slated for release in January 2013.

If they don't want to play "ball" then mention the number "3 8   5  0".

40G & 100G are not really needs

Don't consider 40 Gbps.  It's no longer in the picture and has served it's purpose (stop-gap until the price of 100 Gbps becomes less laughable).   100 Gbps in 5 years?  You bet your a$$!

2) Change C6509 for N7k => this solution is a lot more expensive than solution #1 (twice more)

Talk to your Cisco AM/SE in switching.  Mention the phrase "Technology Migration Platform" and "Nexus 7K" in one sentence.

Just be wary that the Catalyst 3K cannot support full VRF/MPLS.  They only support VRF-lite (aka VRF with Jenny Craig).

Nexus 7K has just released a new (and vastly improved) F2 card so this can get mighty interesting with design. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco