Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS is experiencing High CPU and a module reload

plgingembre
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've deployed VSS on a client site and I'm experiencing a high cpu state since we've loaded servers and switches on it.

Furthermore, we've encountered another problem today: the reload of one module on the standby switch...

Sep 13 18:42:35.368 CET: %OIR-SW2_SPSTBY-3-PWRCYCLE: Card in module 1, is being power-cycled off (Reset - Module Reloaded During Download)

Sep 13 18:42:35.368 CET: %C6KPWR-SW2_SPSTBY-4-DISABLED: power to module in slot 1 set off (Reset - Module Reloaded During Download)

Sep 13 18:46:46.472 CET: %C6KPWR-SW2_SPSTBY-4-DISABLED: power to module in slot 1 set off (Module Failed SCP dnld)

00:00:12: %SYS-CFC1-5-RESTART: System restarted --

Cisco IOS Software, c6lc2 Software (c6lc2-SP-VM), Version 12.2(33)SXH3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2008 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 25-Jul-08 03:56 by prod_rel_team

I join a show proc cpu history in order to illustrate what I'm writing.

If you have any idea...

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

--

Pierre-Louis

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Pierre-Louis,

about the module:

The virtual switching system requires 67xx series switching modules.

The virtual switching system does not support classic, CEF256 or dCEF256 switching modules. In virtual switch mode, unsupported switching modules remain powered off.

So verify that in your chassis there are only linecards of this type.

sh module provides this info

About high CPU usage.

Issue a

sh proc cpu sorted 1min

some times in different time intervals and post the output here.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

As you can imagine, the only line card not powered on inserted in VSS is a FWM... The rest of the cards are exclusively CEF720 modules.

My problem is that one module has been powered off without any reason. I don't understand why and my client is a bit afraid about that, of course !

I will put you the show proc cpu sorted as soon as I get it.

Thanks for your help.

Pierre-Louis

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card