Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VSS Live Migration of VSL Link from 10GE to 40GE

We operate some VSS-Bundles with SUP2T (the VSL Link consists of 2 to 4 10GE-Interfaces)

Now we plan to change the VSL-Link to 2 40GE Interfaces.

The VSL-Link Portchannel is configured in mode on. Because we do not have a real Maintenance-window I am looking for a method how to achive this with any significant Service-Interruption.

So my plan would be to disconnect all 10GE-Links of the VSL-Port-Channel except one. Then I would add at least one 40GE Interface to the Port-channel, of cource the 40GE Interface will no be bundeled to

The Port-channel it will remain suspended because of different speed.

After disconnecting the last 10GE-Link in the Portchannel the 40GE interface will not be longer suspended because now it’s the only Interface in the Portchannel and the Portchannel would be up and running after a very short downtime (I assume less than 1 second)

Could this work like I planned, is this a recommended/supported way to migrate ?

Thanks in Advance

Hubert

Everyone's tags (1)
2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Still won't work, Hubert.  

Still won't work, Hubert.  

When you switch to a different speed, the etherchannel will go down.  During the switchover from 10 Gbps to 40 Gbps, you'll need about 5 minutes outage for the physical and configuration change to kick in.

You might want to try to distract them by pointing to a direction and say, "Isn't that Kate Upton?" and when their heads are turned, you swap the connection.  laugh

Tried with "normal"

Tried with "normal" Portchannel which is not VSL Link , had less than 1 Second outage

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content