Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[VSS]Lost of service during standby reload

Hi all:

A customer told me he did an upgrade from a VSS (2 6500 equipments). He loaded the new IOS on appliances and reboot the Standby-HOT unit. At this moment he noticed the service was down for 30-40 seconds and I think it's impossible cause all connections were redundants and should be managed by active unit.

I'm gonna to upgrade a VSS and I'd like to know if the customer afirmation is correct.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you just upgrade the stand-by and reboot, due to different versions of code the VSS goes in to dual-active mode

Take a look at this document (all the way at the bottom). You have to follow the instruction on how to use eFSU without loss of any connectivity.

http://www.ciscosystems.lt/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/white_paper_c11_429338.pdf

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Francisco,

If use eFSU to upgrade your VSS pair, There should not be any down time. You just lose 50% of your capacity for a few minutes. At list this was the case with mine.

HTH

Reza

Thanks for the reply.

The customer didn't use eFSU. But I dont understand the reload of Standby unit might produce lost of service when I have all connections working through Active unit.

Regards

If you just upgrade the stand-by and reboot, due to different versions of code the VSS goes in to dual-active mode

Take a look at this document (all the way at the bottom). You have to follow the instruction on how to use eFSU without loss of any connectivity.

http://www.ciscosystems.lt/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/white_paper_c11_429338.pdf

HTH

Reza

Thanks for the link Reza, I had another older.

I click on your response like Resolve but reading the document you post I could see the proccess when you upgrade a VSS without eFSU.

It doesn't tell anything about VSS changes to dual-active mode when an upgrade is done, it comments VSS works at 50%:

"After successful bootup of the switch 2 (standby virtual switch) to the new image or file system, verify the peer relationship between supervisor engines are in RPR state (cold standby). At this stage, the Cisco Virtual Switching System will be operating at 50-percent capacity."

I am confuse about it then...

Hi.

It would be great to see the logs from console when the upgrade was done. If it is done correctly you should _not_ end up in a dual-active situation. The fact that you (or rather, your customer) di, suggests that soemthing might not have been configured correctly.

If possible, could you post config to the forum?

HTH, Ingolf

Francisco,

I have used the same document to upgrade my VSS pairs with no problems. Like Ingolf said, there may be some thing else missing in your customer's config.

Here is the configuration guide for the 6500 using eFSU to upgrade.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/issu_efsu.html

HTH

Reza

Hello:

I've requested the configuration to the customer.

Many thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card