cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS on 4500X - Is Priority a requirement

roger perkin
Level 2
Level 2

I am setting up a VSS pair between two 4500X switches.

I am reading through the configuration guide and looking at some sample configs.

Some people configure priority so one switch is the Master (Priority 110) and the other is the slave(90)

I see other discussions saying that this is not really relevant and it does not really matter which switch is the master or standby?

Can anyone provide any discussion on this or advise if setting the priority is best practice or not?

Thanks

Roger

2 Replies 2

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes it is reallly not required if you see it theoratically.

The reason why they configure it is just for there wish else it really doesnt matter which switch is active and which switch is backup as you are not making both the switch to act as 1.

Lets say example:

You have two switch and you want the 1st switch to be active at this point of time when the VSS completion is over the CLI to be the 1st switch - this is the time the priority will come into picture and who ever has the highest priority those cli would be seen.

HTH

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you configure VSS, by default switch-1 is the master and switch-2 is stand-by.  So  there is no need for priority. To test it reboot both switches at the same time when they finish rebooting switch-1 will be active.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card