I've got big problems setting up a VSS with 2 6509-E with ONE sup2T in each 6509.
I started configuring the 2 SUPs like this:
VSS config in general is not very complex.
VSL is up (2x10Gig channel from the 2 sup-ports to the 2 sup-ports)
I connected 2 4509E with sup7e with 2 links (1 to sup2t-switch1 and one to sup2t-switch2)
I used port 1 and 3 at the sup7e (i also tried other ones... 1 port on sup7e on on 4712-card... 2 on 4712 card...)
configured PagP on both sides. I had also a look to
I started with 15.0-1 SY1 advipservices - and had problems with the PagP channels.
only the port to the active sup2T is aggregated to the channel - the second
port toggled between stand-alone and waiting to be aggregated.
I tested a lot of things.. changed ports.. cables.. SFP+'s.. X2's... rebooted.. powercycled...
than I installed 12.2.50 SY1 and everything seems to be working... at first....
I did some test - played around with some failure-scenarios - and channels broke up again.
at the moment I'm NOT able to get the channels working..
Than I configured an IPaddress in vlan 1.
the 2 4500s also have management IP in vlan1.
I was NOT able to ping the VSS..
i did a "redundancy force-switchover" and - voila - ping is working.. (I did a lot of pinging - not only one...)
switching back to switch 1 - ping keeps working....
is there anybody out there who can help me?
Is VSS on sup2t so buggy that it is not usable? I can't believe that.. ok. it's just ED..
many thanks in advance
Can you post a quick diagram of your network showing the physical links interconnects and the Portchannels you are using?
What test are you performing? Are the hosts connected to the 4500 switches and pinging 6500?
Are you using ePAGP for dual-active detection of fast hello?
Just pinging from 4500 to 6500. Both VLAN1. L2-Trunks between 45 and 65.
I'm using ePAgP. ePAgP is supported on 4500 (XE 3.3.0)
I tired a lot of things.. this is the current layout.
please see my other posting - I tried a lot of combinations of ports.
I changed nearly everything - SFPs/X2s/Cables/......
SUP7e is able to handle all 4 Ports non-blocking in single SUP mode...
only while using redundancy you can only use port 1 and 2.
Please post the diagram . Meanwhile, make sure you are following the link below:
Limitation and Restrictions on Supervisor Engine 7-E:
Please note the following:
•When you use WS-X45-SUP7-E in RPR or SSO mode, only the first two uplinks on each supervisor engine are available. The second two uplinks are unavailable.
SUP-7E is standalone - one SUP in one Chassis - no redundancy.
I also tried channeling one SUP port (5/1) and one port from 4712-linecard.
next try was both ports on 4712.
always the same.
I also took an 2960 and linked it up to one gigE port on each SUP2T with PagP - same problem..
link to standby-sup is always crazy.
at the moment I can't ping the VLAN1 IP of VSS-system (all switches have a management IP in VLAN1 (/24-network))
If I do a "redundancy force-switchover" the connectivity is immediatly established.. and VLAN1 of VSS is pingable.
Very strange. what hardware tests can I do to be sure that the SUPs are working well?
I also tested links with UDLD. the links to the passive chassis ALWAYS run into err-disabled.
(udld enable - not udld aggressive)
of course - but unfortunately not before tuesday. Monday is a public holiday in Germany and I'm not in the office at the weekend.
what is the o/p for the following;
sh switch virtual
sh switch virtual role
remote command standby-rp show switch virtual role
sh switch virtual redundancy
sh switch virtual link detail
I think the config and VSS setup should be ok. Since today one of the 2 SUPs seems to be completly broken.
The system won't come up and crashes during minimal bootup-GOLD-Test.
I checked the plain SUP without any modules. Flash is ok. Chassis is ok.
Unfortunately SmartNet is still in progress - but I think it will be ready tomorrow and I will open a TAC Case.
I will keep you informed how things are going on.
Many thanks for your help so far,
I got a new SUP2T on Thursday - and voila... everything is working fine now.
But anyway - thanks for your help and troubleshooting.