Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS provision configuration?

syntaxmonster
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i have a question regarding the configuration of a VSS. We are about to replace our Core 6509 with a VSS.

At the time of the configuration of the VSS not all WS-X6748-GE-TX Modules will be present but will arrive at a later time. Can i provision the configuration for this modules? Like provisioning the configuration on a 3750-E Stack?

Thank you for your support,

Kind regards,

Chris

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Chris,

I've found the following note about provisioning on configuration of a VSS chapter

>>Do not delete or modify this section of the configuration file. In Cisco IOS Release 12.2(33)SXI and later releases, you can no longer add module provisioning entries using the module provision CLI command. When a module is not present, the provisioning entry for that module can be cleared using the no slot command with the module provision CLI command. Note that the VSS setup does not support the module clear-config command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html

so before 12.2SXI the module provision command can be used if my undestanding is correct.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

Hi Chris,

You can NOT provision a module or port a head of time starting 12.2(33) SXI using commands below even though the command reference guide still show the command.  I actually tried this on one of our VSS pair. When you type for example command "slot 3 slot-type 227 port-type 60 number 8 virtual-slot 19 " There is message that says this command has be deprecated from the IOS.

Examples

The following example shows how to enter the module provisioning configuration submode:

Router(config)# module provision switch 2

Router (config-prov-switch)# 

These examples shows how to configure module provisioning:

Router (config-prov-switch)# slot 3 slot-type 227 port-type 60 number 8 virtual-slot 19 

So, the above commands are useless if you are using SXI.

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

krishnakumarr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Can you provide more details

1. provide me show module out put new vss switches

2 . If you want to connect 3750 stack for vss switch use SXI image and above

regards

krishna kumar

I think i have to be more precise.

We plan to replace our Core 6509 with a VSS. So the vss (2x 6509-V) is ordered but not here yet.

At the time the ordered vss can be configured it looks like this:

Physikal:

Core-------------------------------Core

|                                       |

Sup720                           Sup720

WS-X6748-GE-TX      WS-X6748-GE-TX

We know that at the and of february another WS-X6748-GE-TX Module will be included into the seconde Core:

Future:

Core-------------------------------Core

Sup720                           Sup720

WS-X6748-GE-TX      WS-X6748-GE-TX

|

WS-X6748-GE-TX

We need to plan and pre-configure this WS-X6748-GE-TX module now because we know exactly which end hosts will be connected on which port on this module so that when the module is here we only have to plug in the network cables.

As i know from the 3750-E Stack there is a possibility to provision the configuration of a stack member which will be included at a later time.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_52_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1178943

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_52_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1177470

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Chris

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Chris,

I've found the following note about provisioning on configuration of a VSS chapter

>>Do not delete or modify this section of the configuration file. In Cisco IOS Release 12.2(33)SXI and later releases, you can no longer add module provisioning entries using the module provision CLI command. When a module is not present, the provisioning entry for that module can be cleared using the no slot command with the module provision CLI command. Note that the VSS setup does not support the module clear-config command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html

so before 12.2SXI the module provision command can be used if my undestanding is correct.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

thank you for pointing me to the configuration guide. I´ll take a look at that and.

Do not delete or modify this section of the
configuration file. In Cisco IOS Release 12.2(33)SXI and later
releases, you can no longer add module provisioning entries using the module provision CLI command. When a module is not present, the provisioning entry for that module can be cleared using the no slot command with the module provision CLI command. Note that the VSS setup does not support the module clear-config command.

I´m afraid i do not understand what this means. OK, so the command module provision is available only before 12.2(33)SXI).

But here:

When a module is not present, the provisioning entry for that module can be cleared using the no slot command with the module provision CLI command.

They say only how the entry for that module can be cleared and not how i can make an module provisioning

Hi Chris,

You can NOT provision a module or port a head of time starting 12.2(33) SXI using commands below even though the command reference guide still show the command.  I actually tried this on one of our VSS pair. When you type for example command "slot 3 slot-type 227 port-type 60 number 8 virtual-slot 19 " There is message that says this command has be deprecated from the IOS.

Examples

The following example shows how to enter the module provisioning configuration submode:

These examples shows how to configure module provisioning:

Router (config-prov-switch)# slot 3 slot-type 227 port-type 60 number 8 virtual-slot 19 

So, the above commands are useless if you are using SXI.

HTH

Reza

Hi @all,

thank you for clarifying this.

Have a nice day.

Chris

Hi Reza,

I tested just to insert the provisioning commands into the startup (downloaded startup from switch , modified provisioning section and loaded back to startup, after reload the "preprovisioned" modules were present in the config and I was able to configure the interface though the module was not present),

I just did this for testing to prepare spare-sups with the correct config without having the modules in the lab-chassis.

I tested it with SXI5. So I achived what I want, but I am missing a list of slot-types and port-types for all possible modules, does anybody know where to find ?

Thx

Hubert

you can always use following workaround

upload a file to bootflash containing the configuration for the module

eg.

interface range gig /1-48

When you insert the module you copy the file to run

copy run

weafawefa
Level 1
Level 1

I just faced this issue. Setting up TFTP to push the config to it with the required lines was not possible due to constraints in accessing the switch. I had access to the console however and used tclsh to create a new startup-config file and rebooted to that in order to get VSL provisioned on a replaced 6880 chassis:

tclsh
puts [open "nvram:startup-config" w+] {
switch virtual domain 100
switch mode virtual
switch 1 priority 110
switch 2 priority 100
switch 2
mac-address use-virtual
interface Port-channel1
description virtual link 1
no switchport
no ip address
no platform qos channel-consistency
switch virtual link 1
interface Port-channel2
description virtual link 2
no switchport
no ip address
no platform qos channel-consistency
switch virtual link 2
interface TenGigabitEthernet2/3/16
no switchport
no ip address
no cdp enable
channel-group 2 mode on
no shutdown
interface TenGigabitEthernet2/5/16
no switchport
no ip address
no cdp enable
channel-group 2 mode on
no shutdown
interface TenGigabitEthernet2/5/11
description dual-active link to te1/5/15
no switchport
no ip address
no cdp enable
dual-active fast-hello
no shutdown
module provision switch 1
slot 3 slot-type 364 port-type 60 number 16 port-type 113 number 4 virtual-slot 19
slot 5 slot-type 363 port-type 60 number 16 port-type 113 number 4 virtual-slot 21
module provision switch 2
slot 3 slot-type 364 port-type 60 number 16 port-type 113 number 4 virtual-slot 35
slot 5 slot-type 363 port-type 60 number 16 port-type 113 number 4 virtual-slot 37
write memory
}
tclquit

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: