Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS using just three (3) Supervisors

ALISSON CHAGAS
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I have a customer that has a Catalyst 6509 with two Supervisor VSS capable and my Sales team sell another 6509 with just one Supervisor VSS capable. Simple question: Will VSS configuration will recognize that I have three Supervisors? It will work as QUAD-SUP solution or as a normal VSS solution? Thanks in advance.

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It will work as normal VSS with one sup in each 6500

I recommend you do not use the second sup at all until you have 4 sups and the IOS that supports them

Currently the IOS for quad sup is not available anyway

HTH

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Sharifi.

I've already implemented a VSS solution with quad-sup (two on each chassis) using this IOS version:

s72033-ipbasek9-mz.122-33.SXI4a.bin and it worked fine.

My doubt is about how it will work with two SUP at one chassis and just one at the other.

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

At this stage VSS can Only be supported by Two SUPs in two different chassis. As pointed by Riza , the Quad Sup might be in the roadmap but it's not supported.

Regards,

Mohamed

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi Sobair,

I've already implemented a VSS solution with quad-sup (two on each chassis) using this IOS version:

s72033-ipbasek9-mz.122-33.SXI4a.bin and it worked fine.

My doubt is about how it will work with two SUP at one chassis and just one at the other.

As what everyone has pointed out:  This setup will NOT work.

SUP 720 with IOS 12.x support quad-SUP

SUP2T requires 15.1.x to run quad-sup which is a roadmap

agree with others this is not a good combination to work with, however i can not confirm it won't work you can try it may the chassis with 2x SUPs utilize the secondary SUP in case of the ICA failure you need to test it assuming your HW and SW support quad-sup !

hope this help

Hi Marwanshawi,

I agree with you, It's not a good combination, this is why I'm in doubt how it will work, and at this time I cannot make any previous test, just during the maintenance window.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card