Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS

I know that, to avoid the scenario "Dual-Active", is necesary to configure the PAGP. Do I have to do it on the PortChannel from the VSS to Distribution. ???

3 Replies 3

ieffinger
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there usevillas,

There are two methods of Dual-Active detection inherent to VSS:

PAGP

If you are planning on using PAGP you have to have one or more switches connected to each VSS shelf via a multi-chassis Etherchannel. In your case this would be your distribution layer switch(es). The switches in question also have to be running an IOS image that supports the new Enhanced PAGP 'tags' used by the VSS system to alert each shelf of a dual-active event.

BFD (Bidirectional Forwarding Detection)

This method requires a heartbeat connection between the two VSS switches. It will quickly detect dual-active events and cause the same recovery scenario as PAGP: the active switch goes into recovery mode and the standby goes active.

For more information go to this URL and search for - Complete VSL Failure (Dual Active) - :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/prod_white_paper0900aecd806ee2ed_ps2797_Products_White_Paper.html

Be fantastic

In distribution layer switch , I need config too ENHANCED PAgP protocol to work DUAL-ACTIVE detection o only in VSS ???

thanks.

you need atleast one neighbor with enhanced PAgP protocol. You should configure atleast 2 for redundancy. Now the 2 neighbors could be anything connected to VSS (access,distribution, core).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card