Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP - 2 servers trunked together

td3201
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am just walking into an undocumented environment and ran across this and want to see what you guys think.

I have a 3550 that shows it is the server for the vtp domain 'foo'. Connected to it via a trunked port, is a 2950 that is also a server of the vtp domain 'foo'. Everything is working. What is going on here? I thought you couldn't have 2 servers in the same domain. Also, the configuration versions match. Any ideas?

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

You can definetely for sure have more than 1 VTP servers in your network and infact bydefault the VTP mode is set to server for all the switches.

It is also recommended to have more than 1 VTP server in network incase if your one VTP server goes down you still be having another one to hold your network.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Friend,

You have can 2 VTP servers in a VTP domain and can co-exist together in a LAN. Infact it is a good Idea to have a VTP server redundancy in a LAN so that if one of the server fails there shouldnot be any VLAN database corruption issue which can bring the entire LAN down.

The VTP versions should MATCH in a VTP domain as both the verions are incompatible.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

That answers a few of my questions. However, 1 more. How do I "force" a replication? I have a switch that is being stubborn and won't get the configuration.

Check the vtp domain name and password if there is one . What kind of switch is it ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card