Helpful
Replies

VTP Advertisments

zulqurnain
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

I have two switches 3560-E connected to each other over fiber on gigaeth0/49

I have configured switch-A with VLAN e.g. 10,20,200,300 and VTP server with only domain name and no password configured the TRUNK port gigaeth0/49

on switch-B I configured VTP client with same doamin name and no password and configured TRUNK port gigaeth0/49.

but the switch-B is not receiving any VTP Advertisments at all

so I replaced the switch-B 3560-E with 3500XL and configured it as same to be client and everything works. I really don't understand what is the problem. could anyone help me out here.

Thanks is advance

6 Replies 6

Hi,

It may be a problem with vtp version.

Try to set up the same version on both switches, with global configuration command:

vtp version

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Massimiliano.

Hi,

I have already tired that part and they both are the same version i.e. v2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Zulqurnain,

compare

sh int gig0/49 switchport on both ends:

verify that vlan1 is permitted and that there is no native vlan mismatch

VTP advertisements travel on vlan1 and vlan1 is also the default native vlan on an 802.1Q trunk

With an ISL trunk vlan1 still needs to be permitted on both ends

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi

compared both int giga0/49 and they are the same, also I dont have the vlan1 configured I only have vlan 10,20,200 and 300 out of which I am allowing vlan 20,200 to be advertised between switch-A and switch-B.

other then that I noticed that the moment I put the port e.g. 0/3 the lights become amber

Hello anybody

Can you post the output of :-

show interface

show interfaces x/x switchport

show run

for both interfaces

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco