Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Authentication

remco.gussen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There

I'm looking for a solution to create security within a VTP domain.

For example: 5 switches are sharing the same VTP domain. Switch 1 is allowed to pick up only VLAN 1 and passes all the VLAN's. Swich 2 is allowed to pick up only VLAN 2 and passes all the VLAN's. Is this posible based on MAC-address ? Are there any documents that describe how to do / configure it ?

Gr.

Remco

1 Reply 1

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

VTP is created to have all switches have a common view of the vlans. It really is not a security thing more of a configuration assistant. If a vlan is in the database a switch can assign a port to the vlan. The best you can do is make it so that a client switch cannot define a port to a vlan that does not exist. The other purpose is to allow broadcast traffic to be pruned off a trunk. If there are no ports on a switch it would prune the vlan off the trunk. I normally manually only allow vlans on trunks I know there are ports active rather than turn everything on and hope it gets pruned.

I do not know a way to restrict a switch from placing ports into a vlan that needs to pass over its trunk ports.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card