Helpful
Replies

VTP concept

acbenny
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Expert,

I have a VTP concept want to clarify.

VTP is classified as server, client and transparent. As I know, server will advertise and receive Vlan information within the VTP domain, and client mode will only receive Vlan information from server within the same VTP domain. Am I right ? is it mean that if server mode switch with VTP domain "testing" has Vlan 2, 3, 4 . Then those client mode swich with VTP domain "testing" can receive Vlan 2, 3, 4 and generate Vlan database automatically.

Thx !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

You are correct in what you say. If a switch is set to vtp client and it has the same vtp domain (and optionally password) as the vtp server then if you add a vlan on the switch which is the vtp server it will propogate to the client switch. You can then allocate ports on the client switch into that vlan.

Just for completeness a switch set to transparent will not update its database with a vlan that has been created on a vtp server switch but if there is a client vtp switch further down the path it will forward the vtp update on and the client will then update it's database.

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

You are correct in what you say. If a switch is set to vtp client and it has the same vtp domain (and optionally password) as the vtp server then if you add a vlan on the switch which is the vtp server it will propogate to the client switch. You can then allocate ports on the client switch into that vlan.

Just for completeness a switch set to transparent will not update its database with a vlan that has been created on a vtp server switch but if there is a client vtp switch further down the path it will forward the vtp update on and the client will then update it's database.

HTH

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card