cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Configuration Revision

kian_hong2000
Level 1
Level 1

Say i have one new Switch and i set it to vtp client mode. This Switch have a revision number of 1120.

Next, i connect it to the live network Switch which are in vtp server mode. But the revision number is only 900.

Can the new Switch affect the live Switch which is on vtp Server mode?

17 Replies 17

Hello Edison, from the text file "vtp client wipe" following are my observations:

-You changed the domain of s2 to test, deleted vlan.dat & rebooted. But after reboot, it synchronised with s1 in domain NET34. this should have not happened. does this mean, irrespective of the domain higher config revision always overwrites lower revision.

-Also, before reboot s2 had vtp v2 enabled. but after reload it was vtp v2 disabled. was this intentional?

With reference to "vtp client does not wipe":

- S2 is client with higher revision. s1 is server with lower revision & rebooted.

After reboot:

Expected: s2 (client with higher revision) should overwrite s1 with its own vtp information. strange, it didnt happened.

Desired: s1 being a server should update s2 with its vtp info. strange, this also didnt happened.

-You changed the domain of s2 to test, deleted vlan.dat & rebooted. But after reboot, it synchronised with s1 in domain NET34. this should have not happened. does this mean, irrespective of the domain higher config revision always overwrites lower revision.

Based on my test, that's correct. This whole process occurs during the VTP synchronization.

-Also, before reboot s2 had vtp v2 enabled. but after reload it was vtp v2 disabled. was this intentional?

Good eye. I didn't make any changes in the version 2. I simply deleted the vlan.dat bringing every back to default.

Expected: s2 (client with higher revision) should overwrite s1 with its own vtp information. strange, it didnt happened.

Strange, indeed. Add it to the odd behaviors I mentioned in the beginning of this thread.

The safest approach is to always delete vlan.dat to avoid any of this mess.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thank you Edison!

KJD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card