Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Domain Propagation

limlayhin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Let say I have two 48 ports switches, one vtp domain set as "site1.example.com", another vtp domain set as "site2.example.com".

Both switches has VLAN 201 to 248, assigned to port 1 to port 48.

VLAN 201 to VLAN 245 in switch 1 are assigned to Site1 Customers and VLAN 201 to VLAN 245 in switch 2 are assigned to Site 2 Customers, with different IP addresses.

Both switches has the same vtp password.

If I connect the two switches together via port 48, which is assigned to VLAN 248.

Question: Will VLAN informations (eg VLAN 201 to VLAN 245) in Switches 1 interfere with VLAN information in Switches 2 or vice versa?

Thanks you in advance for any help given.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

davy.timmermans
Level 4
Level 4

the switch compares the VTP domain name to its own VTP domain name. If the name is different, the switch simply ignores the packet. Thus no interference.

PS. To exchange VTP packets, the link must be a trunk ;-)

In real life - VTP server/client is almost not used

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

davy.timmermans
Level 4
Level 4

the switch compares the VTP domain name to its own VTP domain name. If the name is different, the switch simply ignores the packet. Thus no interference.

PS. To exchange VTP packets, the link must be a trunk ;-)

In real life - VTP server/client is almost not used

Davy,

All we use is VTP server/client, so it is used in the real world, and I know many other that use that setup as well. We have absolutely no issues at all and it works great. Why would you think it is not used?

Mike

As you probably know - transparent mode is recommended. I said it's almost not used, and this via personal experience in several environments. In my opinion you've more control if you work in transparent mode + the known disadvantages of server/client.

I agree and I did read your post too fast and missed the almost 

You do need to make sure you understand how VTP server/client works and you should be good.

Mike

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

Why are you using VTP in this case ?

If you have a switch and you want it to have its own private VLANS and not interfere with the VTP domain you can set

vtp mode passive

Then it won't advertise its VLANS

---

Posted by WebUser Stuart Gall

Also by having them in different VTP domains they do not interfere as Davy said earlier so it would not be an issue.

Mike

limlayhin
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks everybod for your kind help.....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: