Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VTP Domains

I have an environment in which i have 10 switchs  & 2 domains - Domain A and Domain B

I want to know If i create Vlan 3 in Domain A and Domain B, can vlan 3 data be carried across both domains on a trunk configured with vlan 3, even though vtp advertisements will not cross domains?

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: VTP Domains

Hello,

Yes, if you create the VLAN 3 in both domains and also allow the VLAN 3 on the trunk interconnecting these two domains then the VLAN 3 will span both domains and will be fully functional.

The only caveat to watch out for is that if you are using VTP Pruning then you must declare the VLAN 3 on the trunk between the two VTP domains as ineligible for pruning. The reason is that the VTP Join messages sent from either side of a trunk will be ignored on the other end because of the VTP domain name mismatch, thus no information about used/unused VLANs will be accepted by either switch, and as a result, all VLANs will be pruned off this trunk. Therefore it is necessary to force the VTP Pruning to leave the VLAN 3 alive on this trunk.

Best regards,

Peter

Views
Helpful
Replies