Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP help

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have set up (in my lab) a transparent tunk between a L2 2950 and a L3 3550. The 3550 in providing the 2950 with the intevlaning etc and works well.

However I have heard another method to setup vlans on both switches is VTP and using a server and client mode?

I've yet to find out how to set this up, but does it still mean I can have mulitple VLAN's on each switch and route between them etc?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

Yes ,

1.The vlan's are configured on server switch.

2.Vlan information is passed to client through VTP messages.

3.Client cannot create vlan's, they can forward the VTP messages to other switches.

4.VTP minimizes misconfigurations

and configuration inconsistencies that can cause several problems, such as duplicate VLAN names,

incorrect VLAN-type specifications, and security violations.

5.VTP only learns about normal-range VLANs (VLAN IDs 1 to 1005). Extended-range VLANs (VLAN

IDs greater than 1005) are not supported by VTP or stored in the VTP VLAN database.

refer below link for more information

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/tk706/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html

HTH..rate if helpful..

Thanks,

I have a Cisco 2950 and a 3550, would it matter which one I use for the server and client?

I need to create 3 different vlans on each switch and then extended a vlan from one switch to another.

Thanks

1.It will not matter.

2.Server is the default VTP mode

3.CautionBefore adding a VTP client switch to a VTP domain, always verify that its VTP configuration revision number is lower than the configuration revision number of the other switches in the VTP domain. Switches in a VTP domain always use the VLAN configuration of the switch with the highest VTP configuration revision number. If you add a switch that has a revision number higher than the revision number in the VTP domain, it can erase all VLAN information from the VTP server and VTP domain.

HTH..rate if helpful..

At the moment I have set up a dot1q trunk between a 2950 and 3550 with switchport access vlans on each and the 3550 is providing the L3 routing between VLAN's. IS this know as transparent mode?

Andy

A quick search on Cisco site and it comes up with a number of docs on VTP. Here is a basic introduction to VTP which covers the differences between VTP server/client/transparent

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094c52.shtml#vtp_modes

Jon

Thanks Jon, I guess my current setip is transparent mode or vtp off mode, although it is similar to vtp server mode only.

vtp server/client mode I believe would be good for a larger setup, but I will test in my lab with this. I'm sure it will come up in my CCNA exam.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card