Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vtp help

Hi,

I have a problem to solve regarding VTP.

In my company we have two routers making the HSRP and many switches.

We have made a vtp domain - one of the routers(Cisco 1801) being the server and the switches being the clients.

so actually when I want to add one more vlan I do the next:

- make int vlan xxx on a router with IP address (IP address being the gateway of that vlan)

- make a new vlan in "vlan data" on router being the vtp server

- make DHCP for VLAN on router (vtp server)

- configure switchport on one of the switches to represent vlan

So everything was working ok, until I got message - "Vlan can not be added. Maximum number of 14 vlan in the database".

So next step was either to buy a new router being able to make more VLANs in vlan data or free solution to make one of the switches be a vtp server,

Of course I went for the second solution, and made one of 3560 switches into vtp server, configured in his vlan data more vlans necessary, I saw that all other switches had new information of vlans - but two of the routers didn't.. althou I issued "vtp mode client" command on both..

They ended up being the vtp transparent.. so i cant make them vtp clients.. how can I change this?

Also I have configured "int vlan xxx" with IP addresses of the new vlans I need on the routers, but still can't ping the gateway of those VLAN (IP address on router)..

What am I doing wrong here? I tried to add "int vlan xxx" with IP address on switch being the vtp server, but that didn't help..

Please could you help me with this problem?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Normally, those default VLANs cannot de deleted, unfortunately.

Do you need all the VLANs in the 1801?  I guess so. But tell me more about how you use the 1801. If you are using the built-in switch then you will need all the VLANs.

But if you are just using the routed interfaces and sub-interfaces at layer-3, then you should be able to create those even if the switch part of it does not have all the VTP VLAN. I think you will only need the layer-2 VLANs if you have switchports carrying them. After all, a traditional router without switchports does not need VTP at all.

Perhaps you could share your configuration with us? Maybe the 1801s don't actually need all the VLANs at layer-2.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

View solution in original post

Jason Dance
Level 1
Level 1

I believe your switch IOS image is able to do Layer 3 services, because the Cisco feature navigator says it is an IP Base image  To confirm you could try enabling it with "ip routing".

If it does, then I would suggest setting uo your switch so that it takes care of the vlans and routing between them (you'll be able to create more vlans than the 1801s), and leave your 1801s for routing out to the internet/outsides hops.  This document states that with IP Base you can create up to 1,000 vlans: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/data_sheet_c78-584733_ps10744_Products_Data_Sheet.html

This brief config may help you with what to do on the switch: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_configuration_example09186a008019e74e.shtml

HTH

Jason

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

if you've exceeded the number of vlans it won't install the ones learnt from vtp server so changing from server to client won't help in this case.But I dodn't understand how they became transparent magically without any intervention.

If the vlan is not in the database then the interface vlan won't be up/up so you can't ping it.

I think that if the valn limit is IOS dependent then you should upgrade your IOS on the 1841 and if it is dependent upon hardware of network module you can choose one which supports more vlans.

Can you tell us your IOS version and the Network module you're using for L2 ports on the router.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Ok routers didn't magically went to transparent, they went to transparent after I have issued command to make them vtp clients.

I am now using the c180x-broadband-my.151-3.t2.bin IOS and that 1801 router (not the 1841) has fixed configuration with 8 fastethernet ports. We only use one of the ports to connect router to network - same with the other router 1801.

Is there any workaround with not buying the new router?

Jason Dance
Level 1
Level 1

What IOS image do you have on your 3560?  If it is one that has L3 functionality, perhaps you can move your routing functionality to the switch instead, and use the 1801s for connectivity to your outbound hop.

It is the  WS-C3560X-24T-S model and the IOS is c3560e-universalk9-mz.122-55.se3

Jason is the moving the routing to the 3560 switch only option now with not buying the new router?

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

That, unfortunately, is the normal behavior of IOS. I had the same thing with some old 2912XL switches in my network. I have about 40 switches in my network, two of which are VTP servers, and the rest are (or rather "were") clients. Everything worked OK until the network grew and I added the 65th VLAN to the domain. At that point, all the 2912XLs changed from client to transparent. They have a limit of 64 VLANs, so they could not cope with the 65th, so they went into transparent to protect themselves.

So, sorry, if you have more than 14 VLANs, your 1801 cannot be in any other mode than transparent.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Can this vlan be deleted:

1002 fddi.default

1003 token-ring-default

1004 fddinet-default

1005 trnet-default

Until I get the new routers which support more numbers of vlan.

Normally, those default VLANs cannot de deleted, unfortunately.

Do you need all the VLANs in the 1801?  I guess so. But tell me more about how you use the 1801. If you are using the built-in switch then you will need all the VLANs.

But if you are just using the routed interfaces and sub-interfaces at layer-3, then you should be able to create those even if the switch part of it does not have all the VTP VLAN. I think you will only need the layer-2 VLANs if you have switchports carrying them. After all, a traditional router without switchports does not need VTP at all.

Perhaps you could share your configuration with us? Maybe the 1801s don't actually need all the VLANs at layer-2.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

OK here is the configuration (with no IP addresses and passwords ):

http://www.2shared.com/document/jNt6nQfJ/routerconf.html

So you can now see how the configuration is.

Jason Dance
Level 1
Level 1

I believe your switch IOS image is able to do Layer 3 services, because the Cisco feature navigator says it is an IP Base image  To confirm you could try enabling it with "ip routing".

If it does, then I would suggest setting uo your switch so that it takes care of the vlans and routing between them (you'll be able to create more vlans than the 1801s), and leave your 1801s for routing out to the internet/outsides hops.  This document states that with IP Base you can create up to 1,000 vlans: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/data_sheet_c78-584733_ps10744_Products_Data_Sheet.html

This brief config may help you with what to do on the switch: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_configuration_example09186a008019e74e.shtml

HTH

Jason

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card