Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

vtp mode query

Hi. I've been doing some reading on vtp modes. I can't seem to understand the practical usage of setting up a switch as a vtp client since creating vlans on a client mode switch is not possible. I guess i am asking if anyone can provide me a scenario where it is advisable to have a vtp server switch connected to a vtp client switch.

If i setup vlan 2 and 3 on a server switch and connect this switch to a client switch with workstations connected to it, does this mean that all these workstations connected to the client switch will be in vlan1 and cannot be added to vlan 2 or 3?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: vtp mode query

Hi,

First lets differentiate between adding (creating) a VLAN on a switch, and assigning a VLAN to an interface, both are different processes. In a VTP domain you can only add (create) VLAN(s) on Servers, while these added VLAN(s) will be propagated to the Clients, and thus if you have 10 switches you won't have to add the VLAN(s) to the 10 switches one at a time. Thus VTP will offload VLAN addition overhead. As for the second process, which is assigning a VLAN to an interface, all the switch ports are in VLAN1 by default, you can change this behavior on any port on any switch (regardless the VTP mode of the switch).

I hope that i've been informative.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

1 REPLY

Re: vtp mode query

Hi,

First lets differentiate between adding (creating) a VLAN on a switch, and assigning a VLAN to an interface, both are different processes. In a VTP domain you can only add (create) VLAN(s) on Servers, while these added VLAN(s) will be propagated to the Clients, and thus if you have 10 switches you won't have to add the VLAN(s) to the 10 switches one at a time. Thus VTP will offload VLAN addition overhead. As for the second process, which is assigning a VLAN to an interface, all the switch ports are in VLAN1 by default, you can change this behavior on any port on any switch (regardless the VTP mode of the switch).

I hope that i've been informative.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content