Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VTP mode Server to Transparent on 7600

I have a gig metro ring with 7600 and 3750s. All were running on vtp server mode with almost 700 VLANs. Now we want to change 7600 from server to transparent mode. We used to configure all the vlans on 7600 and 3750s pick up these vlans through vtp advertisements.

Now if we change from server to transparent mode in 7600 what will be the impact on vtp database. Will all the vlans still be there on 7600. Will the 3750s retain the vlan info even if I reboot them?

Thanks,

Prakash

• LAN Switching and Routing
3 REPLIES

Re: VTP mode Server to Transparent on 7600

Hi

Not sure what is going to happen with 7600 but u r 3750s will not be able to get the vlan configuration once u reboot them as the vtp information is not stored in vtp clients.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi,

the vlan.dat on all clients contains the defined VLANs. So they should be available even after a reboot.

You will not be able to add, change or remove a VLAN in case there are only clients.

When you change from server to transparent, all the VLANs will be kept in the 7600.

Just a word of caution: I never did the described modifications on a 7600 and thus you better test before applying this to your network.

Also be sure, that you apply the proper security, i.e. make sure you do not delte the VLANs by converting a switch with highest revision number to server.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

I have changed the vtp mode to transparent. There were no issues...

Thanks,

Prakash

Views
Helpful
Replies