cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP mode

maria.melendez
Level 1
Level 1

Router that will connect switches in two different buildings. I have a problem with the VTP configuration revision number. How I can make this number to change it?

4 Replies 4

mike_guy29
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am not entirely clear on what your question is. However if you wish to just reset the revision number you can just change VTP mode to another mode such as transparent and then set it back. Revision number should now be 0. I believe that you can also just change the VTP domain name to reset the revision number too.

Not sure if this is what you are asking though...

Hope it helps.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike, Sorry my question wasnt clear. My problem is that the current revision number is 395 in all the other switches. In the new router is zero, although this is the vtp server I cant get the other clients to change the revision number because what they have is greater. Can I have to change the domain in every switch ?

Hi,

If you add a VTP server to the VTP domain and the clients have a higher revision number they should update the server. This is one of the reasons that you have to be careful when adding an old production switch back into the network (you could wipe all the VLANs from the other devices).

So if your VTP server has not been updated with the current configuration from the clients I would check that the VTP domains match, the versions match and that authentication matches (if configured) and that the other switches are in fact in client mode and not transparent.

I would also check carefully the VLANs that could be created/deleted on the switches before making any changes. You wouldn't want to lose them by accident.

Hope that helps

Regards

Mike

Hi Maria.

What kind of router is it? Normally a router does not do VTP unless there's a switch module in the router and then it's actually the switch which is doing VTP.

You will have to check whether the VTP domain name is exactly alike and whether you have a VTP password configured.

Run "show vtp status" and "show vtp password" to verify.

Regards, Ingolf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card